Astana court rejects Jakishev’s appeal

July 14. Interfax-Kazakhstan 

Astana court rejects Jakishev’s appealThe Specialized Inter-district Criminal Court of Astana considered an appeal by the former head of the National Atomic Company Kazatomprom Mukhtar Jakishev leaving the sentence unchanged, Jakishev’s lawyer Nurlan Beisekeyev said on Wednesday.

“The court upheld the verdict. All our reasoning and complaints were dismissed, the sentence was left unchanged,” he told reporters after the court hearing.

“We don’t know the grounds and reasons (for the court’s decision – IF-K). The court only announced the ruling,” Beisekeyev added.

According to the lawyer, he filed several appeals to call additional witnesses, hold expert investigations and questioned the results of the Finance Ministry’s audits.

“We were hoping that the Astana court would understand that the court of original jurisdiction allowed some serious violations of the criminal procedure law,” Beisekeyev noted.

The lawyer intends to appeal to the Supreme Court of Kazakhstan and European courts.

The court did not introduce any changes in the sentence of Jakishev’s former driver Talgat Kystaubayev.

As previously reported, on March 12 the Astana court found Mukhtar Dzhakishev guilty of misappropriation and bribery and sentenced him to 14 years in prison. The court also sentenced Dzhakishev’s bodyguard, Talgat Kystaubayev, to five years in prison and stripped him of his military rank of major.

The investigation into the uranium case was launched in March last year on charges of embezzlement brought against Kazatomprom top managers. The case provoked a massive public response.

http://www.interfax.kz/?lang=eng&int_id=10&news_id=3612

Share