International community considers that Kazakhstan reached a level that allows helping other countries – Maged Abdelaziz Special Adviser to the UN Secretary-General on Africa
May 19. KAZINFORM. ASTANA
8th Astana Economic Forum has become an annual dialogue platform for discussing and solving global problems.
Special Adviser to the UN Secretary-General on Africa Maged Abdelaziz has arrived in Astana to participate in the forum. Mr. Maged Abdelaziz has given an interview to Kazinform correspondent.
– What questions would you like to discuss at the 8th Astana Economic Forum?
– I am looking for new opportunities to expand and strengthen relations between African countries and the countries of Central Asia, first of all, Kazakhstan.
Implementing Kazakhstan-2030 Strategy your country has significantly transformed. It has made major reforms. Kazakhstan has achieved impressive economic and social development. It strengthened peace and accord in the society – between different social, ethnic and religious groups. This was achieved thanks to the wise leadership of President Nursultan Nazarbayev.
Now your country is moving towards the goals specified in Kazakhstan-2050 Strategy. Africa is implementing African Union-2063 Strategy. We see a lot of similarities between these two strategies, which can become the basis for the development of mutually beneficial relations between Kazakhstan and Africa, both in economy and trade, as well as in other areas including in the field of security.
– What does the UN expects from Kazakhstan’s participation in the programs in Africa?
– The role of Kazakhstan in the international arena is growing. Kazakhstan enjoys the support of the United Nations as a leader in ensuring stability in Central Asia, as a leader in initiatives in the field of non-proliferation of nuclear weapons. Your country at the UN General Assembly proposed a resolution to declare August 29 the International Day of Action against nuclear weapons. Kazakhstan is also a leader in the Conference on Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons. Your country has made great progress in economic and social development. Therefore African countries can learn and benefit from the experience of Kazakhstan including in the implementation of “2063” strategy.
– What level should reach the country to provide assistance to other countries?
– A country should be a leader in matters of peace and security. A country needs to reach a certain level of economic development to ensure welfare of its citizens. A country should respect human rights, and prevent conflicts within the country both national and religious.
International community considers that Kazakhstan has reached the level that allows helping other countries.
– Which areas of cooperation between Kazakhstan and the countries of Africa, in your opinion, are the most promising?
– Kazakhstan may benefit from cooperation with African countries in trade and economic spheres. It can also enjoy the support of African countries in international organizations. Africa backs Kazakhstan in its intention to hold Expo 2017.