NATO didn’t offer Kazakhstan part in Afghanistan operation – KazakhDefense Ministry
ASTANA. May 15 (Interfax)
Kazakhstan has not received from NATO an offer to joint the coalition in the operation in Afghanistan, Kazakh Defense Minister Danial Akhmetov told Interfax on Friday.
When asked what decision Kazakhstan would make should it receive such an offer, the minister said, “The decision will comply with the principles of the Collective Security Treaty Organization.”
Kazakhstan is a member of the Collective Security Treaty Organization (CSTO). CSTO comprises Armenia, Belarus, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, Tajikistan, and Uzbekistan.
Interfax earlier reported, citing the NATO secretary-general’s special envoy on the Caucasus and Central Asia Robert Simmons, that NATO had invited Kazakh peacekeepers to take part in the rebuilding of
During his meeting with Kazakh journalists in the NATO headquarters in April, Simmons said Kazakh peacekeepers could be sent to Afghanistan and appropriate documents had been developed by NATO and passed to
Kazakhstan. Simmons then said Kazakh peacekeepers would take part in peacekeeping operations conducted by NATO in Afghanistan if an appropriate agreement was reached.